1 Whole turkey
1 pound Salt
1 pound Sugar
½ cup Liquid crab boil
2 Bay leaf
1 Onion, chopped
6 Crushed Garlic Cloves
1 tablespoons Cayenne Pepper
¼ cup Whole peppercorns
2 sprigs Fresh Thyme
1 tablespoon Sage, rubbed
1 gallon Water
1 gallon Ice
Method of Preparation
- Reserve Ice on the side.
- Combine all remaining ingredients in a large pan and bring to a boil for 5-10 min until onions are soft.
- Remove from heat and add ice to cool liquid.
- Add cleaned turkey and brine for 24 hours.
- Remove turkey from brine and let dry for 45 minutes.
- Insert chucks of raw butter up under the skin on over the breast meat and inside of the thigh skin.
- Place in a hot smoker at 250 degrees F and smoke for approx. 1.5 to 2 hours or until the internal temperature
- inside the thigh reaches 160 degrees F.
- Baste turkey with it’s own juices after 1 hour. Do not open smoker door before hand as to not release the
- Remove and rest for 30 minutes before slicing.
Categories: Food is Art