We are excited to introduce you to our very first Sonesta Celebrity feature. Each month we will check in with one of our Sonesta celebrities to give you a behind the scenes look at our brand from the perspective of our most valuable assets – our employees! This month we have Chief Concierge at the newly renovated Royal Sonesta Hotel just steps from The Galleria, Osman Ikanovic who proudly serves as an ambassador to Houston, a city he adopted 15 years ago as a refugee from Bosnia. Osman is one of the city’s only Les Clefs d’Or-affiliated concierges and currently serves as the Houston liaison for the esteemed organization. Since becoming a concierge a year after his arrival, he has not only helped visitors with hard-to-get reservations and event tickets, but coordinated after-hours shopping excursions and even a 2 a.m. horseback ride. Fluent in three languages, he’s part of the hotel’s multi-lingual team that regularly welcomes visitors from around the globe.
On your next visit to the Royal Sonesta Houston be sure to swing by the Concierge desk to introduce yourself to Osman or to ask for help on how best to discover Houston. In the meantime, get a look at his top five favorite spots to see and experience in the city.
- Rothko Chapel – When I worked downtown, I would regularly stop by and visit Rothko Chapel. Regardless how busy your day is, the tranquility of the Chapel is incredibly calming.
- Houston Arboretum & Nature Center – With more than a five miles of trails, ponds and habitats in the heart of Houston is a wonderful asset. My children, who are in college now, still fondly remember their visits and the gardens filled with hummingbirds.
- Karbach Brewing Co. – Sympathy for the Lager; what a catchy name. As a beer connoisseur, I think Karbach’s brews, tours and tastings are top notch.
- Beer Can House – While the Beer Can House is considered by many as one of the city’s more bizarre attractions, none should forget John Milkovisch and how hard he had worked to transform his home into this amazing landmark. It is eccentric, but you will not find a finer piece of folk art in the region.
- Masraff’s – Houston is a melting pot of different cultures and cuisines, and with thousands of restaurants, there is something for every taste. Masraff’s in Uptown stands out not only for its excellent food and service, but also because of the owner’s commitment to the community and local non-profits.