Though she has called San Francisco home for some time now, and though she moved around a lot as a kid with her Air Force parents, Executive Chef Dawn Taylor-Cole at The Clift Royal Sonesta Hotel considers herself southern through and through. Her focus on seasonal and sustainable menu items, and her love of fried green tomatoes, a classic southern dish, have inspired her to add this wonderful recipe to the Food Is Art collection:
Fried Green Tomatoes
Executive Chef Dawn Taylor-Cole, The Clift Royal Sonesta Hotel
- sliced green tomatoes, 1 cm thick
- oil for deep frying
- Diakon sprouts (garnish)
- Comeback Sauce (recipe below)
- Soak the tomato slices in buttermilk for 30 minutes. Then dredge them in the flour, egg, and panko.
- Heat the oil in a skillet until it just starts to smoke. Deep fry the tomatoes until golden brown.
- Plate tomatoes and drizzle with Comeback Sauce. Garnish with sprouts.Comeback Sauce
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups sour cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Korean red pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- Juice and zest of large lemon
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp tabasco
Place all ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk together.
Categories: Food is Art