We recommend saving room for dessert when you are in Houston, or that you even eat dessert first, just so you can try some of the delicious new items on the Royal Sonesta Houston Galleria dessert menu! The culinary team at the hotel has been busy creating desserts that fit right in with the Sonesta #foodisart philosophy, and they are happy to share the recipes for you to make at home. Tis the season for entertaining, and these desserts – Mixed Berries Shortcake with Honey and Pecans and Peanut Butter Reese’s Ice Box Cake with Hazelnut Milk – are sure to be hits at your next dinner party or holiday event!
Find the recipes for the new desserts below, and be sure to explore our blog for more #foodisart and #liquidart recipes to try at home!
Mixed Berries Shortcake with Honey and Pecans
3 cups (424g) unbleached all-purpose flour (scoop and level to measure)
1/3 cup (68g) granulated sugar, plus 1 tbsp. for topping
1 Tbsp. aluminum-free baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold, diced into small cubes
1 cup buttermilk cold
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg white, lightly beaten
1 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 tbsp. granulated sugar
4 oz. blueberries (whole)
4 oz. blackberries (whole)
4 oz. raspberries (whole)
4 oz. strawberries (quartered)
4 oz. blueberries
2 tbsp. Grand Marnier
1 tsp sugar
Add chopped pecans and honey and powdered sugar for garnish.
- Toss all the berries together with the Grand Marnier and sugar, set aside
- Preheat oven to 350°, Line an 18 by 13-inch baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add butter and cut into mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Make a well in center of mixture. In a mixing bowl (or large liquid measuring cup) whisk together buttermilk, 1 whole egg and vanilla extract.
- Pour buttermilk mixture into well in center of flour mixture. Fold with a rubber spatula until it comes together in large pieces.
- Drop mixture onto a lightly floured surface and turn and press gently about 4 or 5 times until it comes together. Pat into a square about 8 by 8-inches.
- Cut into rounds using a 2 1/2-inch round, floured cutter then transfer to lined baking sheet.
- Brush tops with egg white then sprinkle evenly with remaining 1 tbsp. sugar. Bake in preheated oven until cooked through and lightly golden brown, about 8 – 10 minutes. Let cool on wire rack 10 minutes.
- Pour heavy cream and 1 1/2 tbsp. sugar into a chilled mixing bowl. Using an electric hand mixer whip until stiff peaks form.
- To assemble shortcakes, split each biscuit in half using a knife, and place a spoonful of berries over bottom halves, then whipped cream over berries. Top with second half of biscuit. Drizzle with honey and pecans and dust with powdered sugar.
- Serve right after assembling.
Peanut Butter Reese’s Ice Box Cake with Hazelnut Milk
18 oz. graham crackers sleeves.
1 ½ cups hot fudge sauce
Peanut Butter Cheesecake
1 ½ heavy whipping cream
20 oz. cream cheese softened
½ cup peanut butter
½ cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
16 Reese’s full size coarsely chopped
Whipped cream topping
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tbsp. powdered sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
- Lay graham crackers in a single layer across the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish, breaking apart as necessary.
- Spread half of the hot fudge sauce on top of the graham crackers. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, whip heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat cream cheese for 2-3 minutes on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add peanut butter and beat until combined.
- Add powdered sugar and beat until no lumps remain. Beat in vanilla extract.
- Fold in whipped cream. Fold in chopped Reese’s.
- Spread half of the cheesed cake mixture on top of hot fudge sauce.
- Add a layer of graham crackers, remaining half of fudge sauce, and remaining cheesecake mixture. Top with another layer of graham crackers.
To make Whipped Cream Topping
- Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, whip heavy whipping cream, powered sugar and vanilla extract until stiff peaks form.
- Spread whipped cream on top of graham crackers evenly.
- Cover and chill for at least 8 hours.
- Serve with white chocolate sauce and additional Reese’s if desired.
- Pair with Frangelico milk.
Categories: Food is Art