Spending more time at home these days means more home cooked food, inspired by favorite family meals and memories. In our latest Chefs at Home feature, Chef Kevin Baker, Executive Sous Chef at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach shares a delicious recipe for Coconut Curry Mussels. Read on to learn about the inspiration and to learn how to make this flavorful dish.
This Caribbean inspired dish brings back memories of my days back home in Jamaica where we would sit, talk and just relax and enjoy each other. The sweet, savory smells of fresh coconut and curry, bring a real Caribbean vibe and it’s a great option for a quick and easy summer dish. Even better – Coconut Curry Mussels is also an inexpensive dish and you can find all the ingredients at your local supermarket!
Coconut Curry Mussels
20 ea. mussel
2 oz. canola oil
2 oz. madras curry powder
2 oz. unsalted butter
2 oz. chopped cilantro
2 oz. chopped Spanish onion
2 oz. lime juice
¼ cup coconut milk
¼ cup white wine
1 tbsp chopped habanero pepper
½ tbsp. salt & pepper
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat
- Add oil to pan; swirl to coat.
- Add onion, garlic and; sauté 3 minutes, stirring frequently
- Stir in curry powder; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly
- Add coconut milk, wine, habanero peppers salt and black pepper bring to a boil
- Cook 2 minutes. Stir in mussels; cover and cook 5 minutes or until mussels open
- Discard any unopened shells
- Stir in 1oz cup cilantro and lime juice
Divide mussel mixture between 2 bowls and spoon the coconut mixture evenly over mussels. Sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon reserved cilantro; serve with lime wedge.
Meet more of our chefs and learn what they’re cooking at home this summer: