Welcome to the next refreshing installment of our Chefs at Home series! While we’ve all been spending more time at home this summer, that doesn’t mean the cooking, sharing, and enjoying of food needs to stop. We continue to put our chefs to the test as they return to work – to share with you here what they are making at home.
Executive Chef Kevin Davis at Sonesta Gwinnett Place Atlanta shares one of his favorite quick summer recipes this week. Read on to learn about what might be on his table at home to share with friends and family.
For his Summer Gazpacho and Cool Mint Lemonade Chef Kevin commented, “These are quick, easy to prepare items and are easily available at your local grocery store. During the summer months, I enjoy preparing foods that are cool, refreshing, healthy and energy efficient.”
Gazpacho with Spicy Lump Crab Meat
1 lbs English Cucumber
6 oz. Red Onion, small dice
½ can V-8 Juice
3 oz. Cider Vinegar
1 Tsp. Celery Salt
1 LBS. Green Peppers, diced small
4 cans Diced Tomato
6 oz. Olive Oil
1 Clove Garlic
Tabasco Sauce (season to your desired spiciness)
Lump Crab Meat
- Peel & remove seeds from cucumbers, dice small reserving ½ LB for garnish.
- Large dice green peppers, reserve and dice small ¼ LB for garnish
- In a large bowl, add small diced onions, cucumber, green pepper, diced tomato and V-8
- In a blender combine olive oil, vinegar, garlic, tabasco, celery salt, reserved green peppers and cucumbers; blend and add to tomato product in bowl
- Cover and refrigerate; Allow to set 1 day before serving
- Serve cold in a bowl topped with crab meat
Cool Mint Lemonade
½ Pint Water
1 LB Sugar
Spring or Sparkling Water
- Peel the rind with a peeler (be careful not to take the pith or white of the lemon), place in a pot with ½ pint of water
- Cover & simmer (do not boil) about 5 minutes and remove from heat
- Squeeze the juice from lemons into a bowl, add sugar and strain hot liquid over sugar mixture.
- Stir until sugar has dissolved;
- Store the syrup in a container, cover and refrigerate
- In a tall glass add fresh mint leaves, ice cubes, & 1-2 oz of lemon syrup and fill glass with water, stir, garnish with lemon slices and enjoy
Enjoy this post? Read all of the recipes in our Chefs at Home series!