Welcome to the latest installment of our Chefs at Home series – bringing the best of the summer to your dinner table. We decided that cooking, sharing, and enjoying great food doesn’t need to stop, just because we’re limited to more time at home this summer. Our chefs are each sharing their creativity with you and post here weekly what they are making at home.
This week Director of Food & Beverage/Executive Chef Brian Dandro at Sonesta Resort Hilton Head Island shares his favorite summer recipes and experiences from the beach in Hilton Head. See below for more about what you might find him enjoying at home with his family.
Strawberry Lemon Scones
2 cups all purpose flour plus ¼ cup reserved for strawberries and 1 Tablespoon to lightly coat surface when forming.
½ cup granulated sugar
½ teaspoon salt
2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ cup unsalted butter
½ cup heavy cream
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons lemon zest
1.5 cups diced strawberries
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine dry ingredients and whisk together in a large bowl.
- Place a box grater into the bowl and grate the butter into the flour mixer using the large shredding holes on the grater. Mix together and put in the refrigerator.
- Place heavy cream in a separate bowl, along with the egg and vanilla extract and whisk together.
- In a separate bowl, combine the strawberries, lemon zest and flour, gently toss to coat all berries.
- Remove the flour/butter mixture from the refrigerator and drizzle heavy cream mixture around the top and gently mix together until combined. Fold in the strawberries until evenly distributed in the dough.
- Remove the dough onto a lightly floured surface and form into an 8 inch disc with your hands, the disc should be as evenly flattened as you can, about a solid inch and half to two inches thick. Don’t spend too much time handling the dough. You want your dough nice and cold when it hits the oven so the butter melts into the scone during the baking process, creating a light an airy pastry, versus dense and heavy.
- Cut dough into 8 triangles and place on a parchment lined baking pan. Ensure you have the scones 2-3 inches apart on the baking pan.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes until the edges are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and place on cooling rack.
Did you enjoy this post? Check out all of the recipes in our Chefs at Home series!
Categories: Food is Art