In case you’ve missed it, we have a brand new wedding website, in addition to a special Sonesta Travel Pass wedding offer, which ends on March 31. To help all of the newly engaged couples out there and those who may have been putting off wedding planning the past few years, we’ve tapped our wedding experts to share their insights and experience in wedding planning.
Today we welcome Jim Anello, the Director of Catering from Royal Sonesta Boston to share some observations on wedding trends in recent years. Read below to see what couples who are planning their Boston weddings are including in their special days.
1) Signature cocktails now include not only the couple, but sometimes incorporate their dogs and cats too!
2) Couples are still looking for the big 200 person+ weddings, but they now require more space with fewer guests at each table, along with bigger dance floors.
3) Guests are very interested in any areas with outdoor space or areas that allow for fresh air to circulate.
4) Reception style weddings are giving guests the ability to socialize as they are not confined to being at the table all night.
5) Late night snacks are still very popular, including mostly savory menu items like sliders, grilled cheese sandwiches, egg sandwiches.
6) Couples are interested in backdrops featuring boxwood hedges and neon signage for their head table.
7) On-property ceremonies are shorter, generally 15-20 minutes maximum.
8) There is more interest in protein-rich plant-based vegetarian and vegan meals. Pasta and risotto, popular in the past, are no longer an option for guests who don’t eat meat.
9) There’s no longer just a first dance; many newlyweds are closing out the night with a last dance with just the couple on the dance floor.
10) Lighting, lighting, lighting! Up-lighting is the best way to add ambiance to the event spaces and does not cost a lot of money these days. Most Bands or DJ’s include it in their packages and even in-house audiovisual partners can supply it at fairly inexpensive rates.
A popular destination for extraordinary city wedding venues, Royal Sonesta Boston offers an ideal combination of old-world charm and modern elegance. With sweeping views of the Charles River, beautifully appointed gathering spaces accommodating up to 550 guests and a dedicated catering staff to plan every detail–Royal Sonesta Boston weddings are affairs to remember. Learn more about planning your Boston wedding.