Happy Earth Day! While April 22 is the day we honor the earth and highlight sustainability initiatives, at Sonesta we take measures year-round to save energy and water, and to reduce waste and reuse items that would otherwise end up in landfills, and reduce emissions.
Below, for our celebration of Earth Day, we share just a few of our hotels’ earth-friendly practices that are in place throughout the year.
Sustainability initiatives at The Clift Royal Sonesta Hotel (Reopening soon!)
• To continue striving towards being a more eco-friendly hotel, The Clift Royal Sonesta Hotel hosts 10 hives with over 10,000 honeybees on the roof of the hotel.
• Hotel conducts monthly audits to reduce paper usage.
• Stay Green program – a guest sustainability program in which guests may choose to help reduce our carbon footprint and have a positive impact on the environment in exchange for $15 F&B credit
• Specialized housekeeping options to help lessen our carbon footprint and waste.
• Diversion rate of 80% with routine audits & education presentations to work towards a Zero Waste goal.
Sustainability initiatives at Sonesta Gwinnett Place Atlanta
- Eco friendly pest control
- Newspapers provided only on request.
- Guests have the option of reusing their bed linens and towels.
- Refurbish program for furniture and equipment.
- Paper, plastic, aluminum cans, cardboard, newspaper, grease, batteries and ink cartridges are all recycled.
- Each guest room has an individual climate control with a motion sensor that determines if the room is occupied.
- Air-conditioning and lights are controlled by a building automated system and turned off when meeting rooms are not in use.
- Motion sensor lights in front and back of house offices.
- Energy efficient demand control ventilation fan in the main kitchen reduces kitchen exhaust energy usage up to 50%.
Sustainability initiatives at Royal Sonesta Boston
- LED lighting throughout our guest rooms (low energy consumption)
- Variable frequency drives on all large motors and equipment (throttle motors higher and lower based on demand for more efficient use as opposed to equipment running at high speed all the time)
- Low flow toilets, sinks and shower heads throughout (low water use)
- CHP on property (cogeneration that produces electricity to the building and also uses the heat from the generator to produce hot water for domestic use)
Earth Day Observations from The Alexis Royal Sonesta Hotel Seattle
One of the few positive attributes of the global pandemic has been the opportunity for us to implement several green initiatives which continue to be noted and appreciated by our guests. We have found that the guests have been most accepting of the reduction in housekeeping services, which provides multiple impacts on cleaner emissions and decreased usage of natural resources. While there have been concerns over the exposure to the virus, guests also note that the turndown of housekeeping services, towel replacement and amenity refreshing has a secondary importance which we are all aware of and support. Our Front Desk agents have initiated the opportunity to offer guests reductions in paper usage, housekeeping services and support services such as Uber and as the limitation of restaurant options is a forefront of decision making – walking opportunities due to the concerns over social distancing. All of our guests recognize the ongoing efforts of combating this virus and ensure that a side benefit of renewed energy are the hotel foundation programs for a greater awareness of sustainability and green initiatives down the road, when normal lifestyles return to the masses.
Sustainability initiatives at The Stephen F Austin Royal Sonesta Hotel
- Recently installed energy efficient chillers
- Motion light detectors in the rooms to make sure lights remain off when no one is in the room
- Shampoo, conditioner, and soap containers in the showers to reduce waste
Earth Day Contactless Culinary Package at The Yorkville Royal Sonesta Hotel Toronto
Our team in Toronto is incorporating Earth Day into their contactless dining program. Guests who book this package will enjoy the earth’s local bounty via a vegan menu created with produce sourced locally in Ontario.
Read more about our hotels’ past sustainability efforts.